bg

Sunday, September 11, 2011

9/11


   Ten years ago today is a morning I will never forget. I was a Sophomore at Lipscomb University and I was living in a town home in Bellevue with my friends Heidi and Brandi. On Tuesdays I had one political science class and anatomy lab in the afternoon. I didn't have to be at school until 11 that morning so I was sleeping in. Brandi had already gone to school because she had an early class. Heidi was up getting ready for her class at Belmont. I remember laying in bed  trying to get myself motivated to get out of bed and get in the shower. I can remember hearing Heidi saying something like "Oh my gosh!"  , from her room down the hall. At the time I thought she was on the phone but I eventually realized she wasn't talking to anyone. I got up...walked to her room and we watched as the horror unfolded on TV. Shortly after that Brandi called to see if we had heard what happened and that her class had cancelled mid-lecture and she was on her way home. Shortly after that I think was when the second plane hit. I called my professor, Dr. Vanderpool to see if our class was still going to happen and he was in the office and told me that he would like to go ahead and meet.  Dr.Vanderpool came to Lipscomb after a 35 year career with the National Security Agency where he specialized in foreign policy issues and counter-intelligence. He thought it would be a good idea for our class to get together and discuss what had happened. I didn't want to go. But I am so glad I did. Our one hour class ended up taking about an hour and a half. Everyone was so confused, shocked, scared and angry.  



























  I worked two jobs in college and one of those jobs was a sales associate at Dillards in Green Hills. I only worked there on Tuesday nights and Saturday or Sunday.  They closed the malls that afternoon so I didn't have to go in.  I went home and Brandi, Heidi, and I watched the News all afternoon. That evening we walked to Sonic. (we walked to save gas because everyone seemed to think gas would be crazy expensive the next day.) Everyone was out walking. It was weird. We got ice cream and walked back home. I think we stayed up really late that night and then attempted to go to sleep. I will never forget that feeling. I will never forget the feeling of wondering what would happen next and what it would mean for our country. EVIL. I think it is the first time I realized just how real Evil is.

   Ten years later and I can still remember that day like it was just a month ago. I can't remember last Tuesday...but that Tuesday will be forever engraved in my memory.

  God Bless America . God bless the men, women, and children who lost loved ones on that awful, tragic day. God bless the leaders of our country. God bless the brave souls who risk everything to serve and protect our country. We will never forget.


























Hearts are heavy now, dear Lord
For WAR is looming there.
Our prayers are calling out to you,
Our thoughts too much to bear.
Be with our loved ones--THEY NEED YOU.
Guide them, lead them, see them through.
Bless our leader, for we know,
He asks Your blessings, and needs them so.
Protect the innocent,  shield their lives,
As bombs and missiles streak the skies.
Open our hearts and fill us with grace,
Guard our loved ones in that place.
This I say, in earnest prayer,
THANK YOU LORD
I know YOU'RE there.




No comments:

Post a Comment